tunnel departure

Yarra Glen Extension

The next extension of the line was from Yarra Glen to Healesville. This part of the line required a 1 in 40 climb into a 154.4 metre tunnel with a corresponding descent nearly the same grade. The Healesville Station was built (opened the 1st March 1889) with an intermediate station at Tarrawarra. Healesville was named after the Hon Richard Heales (Chief Secretary of Victoria 1860-61).

 

J529 departs tunnel heading for Tarrawarra (Rev.Scutt).